As some of you already know, my husband and I are starting a new, monthly, free newspaper in Austin called the Regular Joe. We have joined forces with another couple in order to maximize our strengths and avoid our singular weaknesses. This will be a 16-page collection of articles sent in by contributors, who will be paid for their efforts in food. The style of the paper will be similar to that of the two Regular Joes already doing well in Missoula, Montana, and St. Joseph’s, Missouri — laid back, funny and encouraging. The distribution area is to be a ten-mile radius of downtown Austin (to start with). Hopefully it will grow over the months to include suburbia.
We hope to have our first issue out by the first of June. Here’s the list of what we’ve done so far:
- Got our DBA (doing business as) name
- Opened our bank account
- Picked a printing company
- Bought InDesign
- Assigned roles within the company
- Created some content
- Talked to a few people about ad space
- Set up a Twitter account (http://twitter.com/#!/regjoeaustin)
- Set up a Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/TheRegularJoeAustin)
Thanks for listening, and I hope some of you locals will get to be a part of this new adventure.
- Blogger Rants About Austin In Post And Austinist Strikes Back (gadling.com)
- We went to Austin and we lived to tell the story (limetreekids.com)
- Austin Small Businesses Keep It Social (Live from #SXSW) (blogs.constantcontact.com)